Like any well designed software, SolidWorks is programmed to accomplish functions that fulfill your needs for particular tasks. Each year, its functionality is expanded to suit an increasing number of those needs. Most enhancements to SolidWorks are based on your feedback about new abilities and tasks you want the software to perform. How are requests for enhancements submitted? First, determine if your request is for new functionality in SolidWorks or if it is regarding unintended behavior with current functionality.
Unintended behaviorAn example of unintended behavior is if you are using a particular tool in SolidWorks which is not working as expected. To report unintended behavior, the best outlet is your Value-Added Reseller (VAR). Contact them. They will determine if the behavior you are experiencing from SolidWorks needs to be addressed as a Technical Support matter. Your VAR will take steps to report the matter to SolidWorks’ Technical Support group, if necessary. They will also help you find methods to complete your tasks and accomplish your goals.
New functionalityIf your request is for new functionality in SolidWorks, the first place to search is the Knowledge Base in the Customer Portal. The Knowledge Base has quick how-to instructions. It also has a list of outstanding enhancement requests from other customers. When searching the Knowledge Base, use keywords associated with your request. For example, if you are looking for information about resizing a drawing view bounding box, look up the keywords view bounding box resize. In this example, you will quickly find that there are several articles, including one open request.
Enhancement RequestIf you find that someone else has already submitted a request similar to your own. Go to the Enhancement Request area in the Customer Portal. Again, search for keywords associated with your request. A list of open Enhancement Requests will appear. Click on the applicable article link. Read the request carefully to make sure it represents your needs. If so, fill out the appropriate fields in the lower section and go to the bottom of the request page to click on the Vote button. Voting is only available through the Enhancement Request area.
Writing your own Enhancement RequestIf you find that your request is not represented by any existing Enhancment Request, then it is time to create your own Enhancement Request. At the bottom of the Enhancement Request search results, you’ll find the following statement
If you do not find a relevant enhancement request, refine your search or click here to create an Enhancement Request.Click where it says “click here”. This will take you to a page where you can create your own request. Provide all necessary information, including the area affected by your request, the version of SolidWorks you use, and a brief description. Additionally, make sure to include important details in the “Why do you need this functionality? Explain:” field.
- Please be as clear and detailed as possible.
- Explain why current functionality doesn’t fulfill your needs.
- List step by step instructions where you have attempted to accomplish your task without the new abliity that you are requesting. SolidWorks Rx files are helpful.
- Do not focus too much on solutions. Simply state the result that you need from SolidWorks. For example, you may need SolidWorks to quickly create a new shape for the Mounting Boss tool. In that case, clearly and completely describe the shape that you need the tool to make, but avoid going into detail about user interface and workflow unless they are important to your request.
- Provide examples and images of your request. Before and after shoots are particularly helpful.