In the 5th century BC the Greeks invented democracy so everyone could choose who governs. In modern times, Henry Ford made cars affordable in the 1900s, Bill Gates and Paul Allen made computers accessible in the 1980s, and Steve Jobs invented the smartphone for the masses in the 2000s.
In the history of industry, simulation software was often reserved for elite engineers, often PhDs working in a specialized simulation and analysis department. SOLIDWORKS® and Dassault Systèmes have been democratizing computer-aided design (CAD) and engineering (CAE) software since the 1990s by making it easy to access and easy to use, enabling innovation for every designer and engineer.
In 2019, we announced the expansion of the SOLIDWORKS structural simulation portfolio with the addition of SIMULIA technology, also from Dassault Systèmes. SIMULIA makes the Abaqus FEA (finite element analysis) suite, the market leader in structural simulation, which enables SOLIDWORKS users to solve complex problems faster, with accuracy and confidence, on the cloud-based 3DEXPERIENCE® platform.
On this portfolio expansion journey, we are now announcing the addition of Structural Mechanics Engineer for solving the most complex static and dynamic structural problems with the highest level of accuracy and realistic results. Issues such as static and dynamic simulation, low-speed and high-speed events like drop test and impact can be easily solved thanks to the proven, industry-standard Abaqus technology.
I’ll give you three reasons to consider Structural Mechanics Engineer for solving your engineering challenges: it’s accessible, powerful and scalable, and connected.
- The 3DEXPERIENCE platform SaaS (software as a service) model lets you activate Structural Mechanics Engineer for the length of a project (3 months or one year) offering unique flexibility for your engineering projects.
- The powerful simulation capabilities are accessible with a streamlined workflow for all SOLIDWORKS users via a connection that allows saving, sharing, and managing SOLIDWORKS models on the 3DEXPERIENCE platform.
- Expert users can customize the user interface to guide novice or part-time simulation users to solve the most complex simulation, making the promise of democratization a reality.
- Powerful and Scalable:
- The same realistic Abaqus technology used and recognized by simulation experts in the industry is now available to SOLIDWORKS users to solve the most complex physics problems with confidence: non-linear static (implicit) and dynamic simulations (explicit); high-speed events such as drop test, impact, and crash; snap fits; low-speed events such as compression of gasket; pre-loaded bolt assembly; and others.
- The SOLIDWORKS community can now access a scalable simulation portfolio to solve from the simple to the most complex physics, all in a single environment.
- Because accurate inputs are critical components for realistic simulation results, the new SIMULIA Material Calibration app extracts material properties from physical test data curves in the right format for your digital simulations.
- Because it is on the 3DEXPERIENCE cloud-based platform, it is easy for every project stakeholder to know what data to use or review for simulation. The team will save precious time and will no longer run into errors when searching for data or use the wrong model for simulation.
- No more enormous email attachments, no more headaches looking for the latest and greatest version of a design, simulation setup, or results. The 3DEXPERIENCE platform connects everyone working on the same project with communities, dashboards, and tasks, all pointing to the same data. No more guesstimates; your teams can make informed design decisions faster.
- Users have the option to run simulations locally or on the cloud (credits are required for cloud computing) to free up local memory during longer solves.
Advanced static and dynamic simulation technology is no longer just for elite engineers. Anyone can access the 3DEXPERIENCE platform at any time to take advantage of the cutting-edge Abaqus technology for solving the most complex simulation problems.