Learn how to effectively balance mechanical and electrical design considerations with SOLIDWORKS and 3DEXPERIENCE Works Simulation (MODSIM) at our recently recorded live webinar.
Thank you to everyone who attended the fourth live webinar in our series, MODSIM with 3DEXPERIENCE® Works: Designing an Electric Bike for an Awesome Urban Commute Experience. Keep sending your feedback about the webinars. It is the best way for us to shape these events to provide the right information and guidance that you want about our products.
Designing an e-bike is a multifaceted process that requires careful consideration of both mechanical and electrical components. SOLIDWORKS® 3D CAD and 3DEXPERIENCE Works Simulation enable you to balance performance, cost, safety, and compliance with local regulations. From this webinar you can gain insights on how to validate early-stage requirements by leveraging cloud-based simulation tools in 3DEXPERIENCE Works while enjoying the ease of unparalleled collaboration with your team.
Explosion of Electric Bike Popularity
E-bikes are an innovative solution to urban congestion. Imagine the freedom of no longer being tied to public transportation. Toss out timetables of buses and trains with the flexibility of commuting on your own terms with e-bike commuting. Even in cities with robust public transit, e-bikes emerge as a compelling, more convenient alternative.
And it’s not just about getting from point A to point B—it’s about building more sustainable, efficient, and livable environments.
Inherent Design Challenges
Designing an e-bike involves a variety of complex mechanical and electrical challenges. Here are just some of them:
- Weight Management: E-bikes are generally heavier than traditional bicycles because the battery, motor, and associated electronic components add weight. The extra weight can affect a bike’s balance, performance, and usability.
- Heat Management: The motor and battery generate heat, particularly under high loads. Effective heat management systems must prevent overheating and ensure the longevity of the components.
- Frame Design: The frame may need to be reinforced or specifically designed to withstand the additional weight and stress exerted by the electrical system and the forces generated by the motor.
- Power Management: The battery life of an e-bike is a significant concern. It is important to strike a balance between power output for speed and the range that can be achieved on a single charge.
- Regulatory Compliance: Different countries have varying regulations for e-bikes, including limitations on power output and speed. The electrical system design must comply with local regulations.
The Power of the Cloud
Using 3D modeling and simulation together enables you to identify potential problems and innovative design opportunities at an earlier stage—this streamlines design efficiencies. Plus, spotting issues early in product development helps to avoid delays and unexpected costs during production.
The 3DEXPERIENCE platform provides the technology infrastructure to manage the people, data, and documents among your entire team, including suppliers, manufacturers, and customers. And remember, you can securely access, manage, and share SOLIDWORKS data and simulation results from any location with an internet connection.
To watch the recording of this or any previous session, or to register for upcoming sessions for the live MODSIM with 3DEXPERIENCE Works series, visit the information and registration page.