Is electrical design your thing? Interested in wiring, cabling, controls, control panels? If so then we have something in common. I’m currently involved with all things electrical at Dassault Systèmes, and I’ve been with the company for more than two decades. In fact, I originally helped launch SOLIDWORKS® Electrical 10 years ago. Since then, we’ve made some tremendous advancements in our electrical solutions to help our customers work more efficiently, collaborate better and ultimately get products to market faster.
There’s a new solution I highly recommend you check out called Electrical Schematic Designer, an exciting new role in our 3DEXPERIENCE® Works portfolio. We launched this solution last fall to help electrical designers to create intelligent electrical schematics and connect their data to the cloud-based 3DEXPERIENCE platform. This opens a whole new world of possibilities!
One thing I’m sure you will notice is that Electrical Schematic Designer is branded as CATIA, but when you start up the app you will see SOLIDWORKS inside. This is to help clarify that Electrical Schematic Designer is for use by both SOLIDWORKS and CATIA users, especially those involved with electro-technical design, including jobs such as generating machinery electrical systems, control panels and cabinets.
Expanding on that, Electrical Schematic Designer offers the great functionality of SOLIDWORKS Electrical Schematic Professional desktop so you can efficiently create electrical schematics, control panel drawings, reports, and other electrical design documentation, and then safely store your data on the platform to easily find and share data from a web-browser.
Enticed yet? Read on for a first look at this role.
Key Capabilities of Electrical Schematic Designer include:
- Electro-technical schematic creation– Produce complete documentation of complex electrical systems for machines and industrial equipment using simple pictorial representations of electrical components and interconnectors.
- Report Generation– Generate reports automatically based on real-time design database queries and create custom reports via integrated custom report creation tools.
- 2D control (cabinet) panel drawings– Generate 2D panel representations from an electrical schematic with 2D outlines of electrical components.
- Electrical component and symbol library– Access an extensive library of industry-standard schematic symbols, combined with a database of manufacturer parts, to provide an easily customizable and adaptable parts base through easy-to-use import tools.
- Design Rule Checks (DRCs)– DRCs scan the project for specific errors and then provide a report on what those errors are and where they appear in the project for a variety of different potential issues.
- Design reuse– Reuse circuit design elements, such as circuit macros, along with non-Electrical Schematic Designer content, through easy-to-use import wizards.
- Use of SOLIDWORKS Electrical Schematic data– Open and edit and continue to develop an existing SOLIDWORKS Electrical schematic originally created on desktop, then store to the 3DEXPERIENCE platform.
Benefits and Capabilities of the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform
You’ll find that having your data on the platform will benefit the entire organization. In addition to equipping teams with data management and collaboration capabilities; organizations can reduce IT and infrastructure costs and the complexity of using multiple solutions.
All 3DEXPERIENCE Works solutions work together seamlessly, simplifying data management, sharing, and collaboration across the organization. With Electrical Schematic Designer, you’ll experience a simplified workflow with easy access to all your apps, other roles and the platform in one interface so you can easily open an app and work in one unified environment. Simply launch Electrical Schematic Designer from your desktop or from the platform browser.
Once Electrical Schematic Designer is installed on your devices, you can access your data on the platform on any of those devices. Other perks of the platform include:
- Organize your entitle project using a 3DDashboard and include project plans, team discussions, 3D views, collaboration.
- View share, annotate, discuss, visualize, and manage designs from any connected device.
- Collaborate in real time with others on your team in a 3DSwym community.
- Built-in revision control- Files can be locked when changes are being made by another user, and you can see when it is in use and by whom. Easily access all previously saved revisions.
- Manage the lifecycle of any type of content— including electrical projects, 3D design files, simulation models, and documentation across disciplines and CAD applications.
- Powerful search capability to easily find design data and related project resources.
- Project planning- Because Electrical Schematic Designer has been integrated into the 3DEXPERIENCE platform, you can easily manage and perform tasks and lifecycle operations more smoothly from the Task Panel right from the Electrical Schematic Designer interface.
Are you ready to enhance your electrical design tools? I think you’ll find Electrical Schematic Designer will meet all your electrical design needs with the added benefits of the platform, which will boost the entire product development cycle to help you not only design better, but get your products to market faster.
Learn more now about Electrical Schematic Designer at: https://my.3dexperience.3ds.com/welcome/compass-world/3dexperience-works/design-engineering/equipment-systems/electrical-schematic-designer.
For a deeper dive, please register for our virtual 3DEXPERIENCE World 2022 event, taking place February 7-9, 2022, and attend the session “Introduction to Electrical Schematic Designer on 3DEXPERIENCE,” February 7th at 3:45PM EST. You can register now by clicking the banner below.