Starting Model Optimized Model
For this post, I decided to create a tuning fork. To figure out what pitch it was I created a frequency simulation study to determine the resonant frequency of the tuning fork. I added a fixed portion in the study to simulate someone holding onto the tuning fork. Once the study was run, the frequency calculated was not of an in-tune note. In order to change the dimensions of my tuning fork to sound one of these in-tune notes I created a design study. This was inserted by going under insert, design study, and then add. The variables that I chose were the height of the two tines as well as the diameter of the tuning fork. A range was given for these variables in which the study would be solved. For the goal of what to optimize, I added a sensor to the model. This sensor was set up for the fundamental frequency which was chosen by selecting simulation data under the sensor type and then frequency under the data quantity. With that study created I set the goal to change the variables until the frequency was exactly 440 hertz which is equivalent of an A note. The study was run and the design was determined that resulted in the natural frequency of the tuning fork to be close to 440 hertz. With a couple of refinements of the variable ranges a design was found that had a very close frequency to 440 hertz. Feel free to look at my model below and try your own design study.
Mechanical Engineering 2013
Worcester Polytechnic Institute